What damage can snails cause?
Snails are an extremely dangerous species for your garden, their favorite food is plants. In a recent study, it was reported that snails can eat 500 different types of plants. So you need to be careful with this mollusk if you are growing vegetables and molluscs like mint, mondo… Snails are usually active at night, which is a time when we can’t keep an eye on them. and protect the garden, and at the same time their fertility is very strong, this type of animal can lay 100 eggs at a time. Therefore, it is necessary to take measures to prevent snails from the beginning, one of which is how to kill snails with garlic.
Methods of killing snails
The world has researched many successful methods of killing snails such as:
- Using powdered lime
- Using eggshell
- Using orange peel
- Using beer, honey or other fermented juices
- Using hibiscus leaves hibiscus
- Grow plants that keep snails away
- Herbicide use snail
Besides there is a more effective way that people are so commonly used that way by killing snails with garlic.
Why garlic can be used to kill snails
Experiments by Newcastle University biologists show that garlic secretes a substance A specific ingredient called Allicin is extremely effective in killing and repelling snails. Besides, the sulfur present in garlic will combine with Allicin and act on the snail’s sensory receptors.
The leader of this research group, Dr. Gordon Port, said: “There is not a method that can solve the problem of snail infestation completely. There have been many different products produced on the market, however, snails are highly adaptable and can live anywhere. If these preparations are used in the field, the snails will hide in the soil and use their shells to protect themselves from the drugs. In addition, weather that is too humid or dry will make the drug less effective. At the same time, the drug also affects microorganisms in the soil, causing the soil to lose nutrients and harming neighboring animals, including humans.
Garlic can cause effects on the nervous system of snails, causing them to secrete a lot more mucus than usual and die.
How to make a garlic solution to kill snails
- 2-3 garlic bulbs
- 1 liter of water
- 4-5 drops of dishwashing liquid
- Blender or hand blender.
- A thin, small cloth.
- 1 liter spray bottle.
- Split the garlic into cloves, remembering to keep the peel.
- Put everything in a blender and blend with 1 cup of water. If you do not have a machine, you can mince it or use a mortar and pestle to crush it.
- Use the cloth to drain the water and remove the residue from the garlic.
- Mix dishwashing liquid into the resulting solution.
- Put all the solution into a spray bottle.
Note that with the method of killing snails with garlic, we will use a spray bottle, the nozzle of the nozzle is very small, so it is possible to change the dosage slightly so that the solution is always in a liquid state, and at the same time carefully filter the residues to prevent snails. Do not clog the sprayer.
How to use
- Shake well before each spray.
- The appropriate time to spray is around 6pm onwards, at this time the snails will start to be active, the plants will also dry out after a long day of sunshine. Hot water spray also combines to add moisture to the plant.
- Spray evenly around the plant, especially the leaves, do not miss the underside of the leaves because it is an ideal hiding place for insects and snails.
- Repeat the garlic watering cycle at least once a week and after every rain, partly because the rain will wash away the garlic water, and partly because this is the snail’s favorite activity.
Note: only mix a sufficient amount of solution each time, if there is a lot left over, you can put it in the refrigerator to preserve, but it should not be left for longer than 1 week because it will lose the properties of garlic.
Another recipe for how to kill snails with garlic that you can refer to is:
- 2 peeled garlic heads
- 3 cups mint leaves and stems
- 2 teaspoons dried chili peppers
- 12 small cups of water
- 2 cups dishwashing liquid.
Advantages of killing snails with garlic
- Garlic is cheap, easy to find and buy no matter where you are.
- The garlic scent goes away very quickly, without affecting the aroma of your garden.
- How to make it simple, using items available in the house.
- Not harmful to the health of people and animals and pets in the house.
- Not only killing snails, garlic also has the effect of repelling other insects and pests.
Frequently Asked Questions
Snails’ favorite food is plants. In a recent study, it was reported that snails can eat 500 different types of plants.
Garlic secretes a specific substance called Allicin that is extremely effective in killing and repelling snails. Besides, the sulfur present in garlic will combine with Allicin and act on the snail’s sensory receptors.
– 2-3 garlic bulbs
– 1 liter of water
– 4-5 drops of dishwashing liquid
– Blender or hand blender.
– A thin, small cloth.
– 1 liter spray bottle.
Garlic is cheap, easy to find and buy no matter where you are.
The garlic scent goes away very quickly, without affecting the fragrance of the garden.
– Simple way to use, using items available in the house.
– Non-toxic to human health and domestic animals and pets.
Not only killing snails, garlic also has the effect of repelling other insects and pests.
– Use powdered lime, eggshell, orange peel
– Use beer, honey or fermented juices
– Use hibiscus leaves
– Grow plants that keep snails away
– Use snail killer.